Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) is a cloud-based managed database offering from Amazon Web Services. As part of Amazon's wide portfolio of cloud infrastructure and platform services, RDS makes it easy for customers to spin up and scale out cloud database instances using popular database engines such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. To capitalize on the low cost and easy scalability of the service, businesses typically need a good solution for Amazon RDS replication. Amazon RDS replication entails replicating data from on-premises databases to the Amazon RDS cloud, and for some use cases may also involve replicating data from an RDS instance to another type of cloud-based system.
Amazon RDS Replication: From On-Premises DBs to the RDS Cloud
An attractive use of Amazon RDS is for creating cloud-based replicas of on-premises production databases, for purposes such as remote backup, reporting and analytics, development and test beds, or migrating on-premises workloads to the cloud. The common need for such use cases is for Amazon RDS replication, from the on-premises DBs to the RDS cloud.
The best solution for Amazon RDS replication is Qlik Replicate (formerly Attunity Replicate), the innovative and versatile database replication software from Qlik (Attunity). Qlik Replicate (formerly Attunity Replicate)—sold as Qlik (Attunity) CloudBeam in the AWS Marketplace—is distinguished by its:
- Ease of use. With Qlik Replicate (formerly Attunity Replicate) you can configure and execute Amazon RDS replication processes through an intuitive GUI, with no need for manual coding or deep expertise in source or destination system protocols.
- Industry-best support for diverse source systems. Replicate is a universal data integration platform that empowers you to create and manage data migration flows from nearly any type of source data system to nearly any type of destination system, on-premises or in the cloud.
- Bulk and real-time transfer support. Qlik (Attunity) supports not only bulk-loading of Amazon RDS instances, but also log-based change data capture (CDC) that allows for real-time cloud data migration with minimal impact on your on-premises source databases.
- Security and reliability. To protect valuable data that you transfer from your data center to the cloud during Amazon RDS replication, Qlik (Attunity) supports TLS/SSL encryption, data integrity checks, and interruption recovery mechanisms, as well as real-time monitoring and event-based notifications.
- Proven track record. Qlik (Attunity) technologies are the data integration solution of choice for more than 2000 businesses in a variety of industries, including many Fortune 500 enterprises.
Amazon RDS Replication: From RDS to Other Cloud Systems
Another Amazon RDS replication workflow that some organizations require is from RDS to other cloud-based data storage platforms. Here again, Qlik Replicate (formerly Attunity Replicate) has you covered. For example, our solution supports common data replication paths such as:
- Replication from one type of relational database to another—such as AWS SQL Server replication to Oracle or MySQL instances running in RDS or EC2.
- Amazon RDS replication to Amazon Redshift for data warehousing and analytics (using Qlik Replicate (formerly Attunity Replicate) in combination with Qlik Compose (formerly Attunity Compose) or a third party ETL solution for implementing Amazon Redshift ETL processes).
- Cloud data replication from Amazon RDS to cloud-based big data platforms like Amazon's managed Hadoop offering, Elastic Map Reduce.